Wacky Wednesday: The Weird and Wonderful Things You Could Hear And Eat in Southwest Georgia
When I went away to college (all the way to the University of Georgia in Athens), people thought I talked funny. Turns out, it was the lexicon I brought with me from deep South Georgia. Hey, people talk funny here! And they eat some weird stuff here. I have not eaten everything on this list. My dad ran a meat market and it’s a wonder I eat anything.
So what unusual phrases might you encounter if you visited Albany, Thomasville or Valdosta?
1) Fixin’ to: meaning, “I’m about to…”
2) “He’s his daddy’s eyeball.” Means the same as “apple of his eye.”
3) “Y’all come go home with us.” Courtesy invitation extended as you’re leaving a gathering. You don’t really expect them to come go with you…but you have to ask.
4) “What do you know good?” The old-fashioned sowega (that’s Southwest Georgia, y’all!) saying for “What’s up?”
And what weird foods might you encounter?
1) Chittlins. Oh. My. God. The smell of them cooking and the knowledge of what they are is enough to put me a mile away.
2) Souse. All the parts of the pig that don’t become pork chops and rump roasts, squeezed into a loaf. Ick.
3) RC cola and a Moon Pie. Okay, I’m eaten this. Moon Pies are kinda gross, but everyone should try this once.
4) Fried pickles. I know it sounds awful, but the vinegar is somehow sucked out of them during the frying process. They’re pretty good. As are . . .
5) Fried green tomatoes. And fried squash. Yum.
6) Pot liquor. Another Oh. My. God. for me. When my grandmother would cook rutabagas, this is the cooking juice left over. She’d drink it. I’m sure it’s full of vitamins and things, but . . . ugh.
7) Peanuts & a bottle Coke. Sounds ordinary? Nope. You pour the peanuts into the Coke (must be the green glass bottled type!). There’s something about this salty-sweet-carbonated goodness that’s addictive.
So . . . what odd sayings or foods would I encounter if I ventured into your area of the country? Remember, comment this week while I hijack Kate’s blog and you could win free books!