I've cut out bits here and there but the gist is there. I don't want to cut too much because she's a good writer (other than the actual thinking/tolerance part) and it's bad idea to ignore that fact. . . . romance isn't about just any "two people" celebrating "love in its many forms." Organizations such as the Man-Boy Love Association would certainly refer to themselves as celebrating love "two people" (or more) finding love in one of its many forms" . . . while they actively promote pedophilia. Think RWA can't go down that slipper slope? Think again. Under our present definition, we cannot exclude such "love stories" under the category of "romance". We, as a culture, seem to have forgotten how to say "enough is enough," but RWA can--indeed, must--do better than that. . . . And, please, spare us the arguments about "censorship" and "inclusiveness." Preference for "one man,...
Well, miss Katie, I feel sorry for you if you don't live in the Canadian prairies in the winter. It's builds tremendous character, you know ;-)
ReplyDeleteMy brother just moved to Boston (the lucky bastard). I am deeply, deeply jealous of the both of you.
I grew up in Massachusetts and miss New England in October terribly from my foggy, misty, rainy perch over here in the Bay Area in California. We don't have a Fall. One day it's 89 degrees and the next the fog rolls in--60 and raining everyday until sometime in March.
ReplyDeleteYuck.
Totally depressing--and the trees Don't Change. Blegh.
I knit too--so I'd love to pepper my wardrobe with lots of sweaters for the crips Fall air. Nope. 89 one day, rain slickers the next. Sniff.
I get enough character building in February, Ms. Reece. I'll just have to suffer with a weaker character than you.
ReplyDeleteSo, suisan? Move here--we could use a better school board.
Kate, I am so tempted.
ReplyDelete(We actually looked into moving to upsate NY a few years back--I'd love to have horses in my backyard. But there's the whole issue of employment. Dear Butcher's skills tap into the salary pools better if he's working in The City. But then, if his business keeps expanding, we might revisit the issue again.)
Because I do miss Fall very much. The air smells different, more metallic.