later on I'll do T13

First...I just realized something about the two books I've read recently. The part that drove me most nuts was the same in both. Things are going along nicely and suddenly something from the past rears its ugly head and the guy shoves the girl out his door with no explanation, no apologies. And really, she hasn't done anything rotten that she's aware of, at any rate.

BOTH books.

I don't recall ever reading that situation before...or at least if I have read it, I wasn't invested in the cast of characters so I didn't much care. With these people? I cared. I actually said something like "no!" or "Just stop it, you prick!" aloud as I read. I'm taking my reading seriously when I start yelling at books. Particularly when there are strangers in the room.

There is a truth about romance that I've heard repeated over and over by readers, editors and writers: the males in the books are allowed to be flawed. In fact it makes them more interesting and appealing to the reader. There's less patience with imperfect females. As I get older, I'm less patient with the males too.

So what the hell do I want? Because, hey, books about perfect people are as boring as it gets. Maybe I'm picky about my flaws? As Mrs. G says, he's allowed to be a serial killer but he better be nice (or trying to be nice) to Her. He shouldn't be hurting her on purpose unless it's for a DAMNED GOOD reason and probably one that has to do with her own good, not his. Hmm. Maybe that's it. Also? If he isn't fair or good to her, he better suffer for it, and in a big way. I want some groveling.

You guys can email me if you hate the fact that I wrote the above. You know who you are. I didn't pay to read your books so I don't get to do a mini-SBD about them without permission. Fair's fair.

Comments

1. Anonymous9:13 PM

I'm changing it, I'm changing it! Show some patience, already!

In fairness to me, I was drawing from personal experience. The circumstances were different but The Look was the same, and I was crushed, and if she hadn't thrown me out soon after you can bet I would have thrown her out.

What I was trying to snag with that scene: the way with first love, such little things can take on such monstrous proportions. A look, a word can spell the end of a relationship -- at least for an evening.

I doubt I'll get rid of the scene entirely, but I am going to take your advice and bring them back together MUCH more quickly. Lori won't stay shut-out for long.

ReplyDelete
  2. the way with first love, such little things can take on such monstrous proportions.

I always think about Good Will Hunting. There's a scene where Minnie Driver's character tells Will that she loves him and that he should come to Cali with her... such a sweet scene, lying in bed together... and it winds up in a fight where she's crying and he runs off. Loved it. Had that same dynamic Doug is talking about, how insecurities propel new love into the ditch.

But yeah, maybe I'll make the dipshit leave a note ;)

ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)