if you're looking for an agent

The more I use it, the more I like query tracker. Their information is more up-to-date than most of the other trackers I've looked at (more up-to-date than the dang agent websites, that's for sure) and the system is easy to figure out.

I wish I could do things a little differently--not have it be organized by manuscript, for instance--but that's ok. Every system I don't design I'm certain I can improve. Of course, I don't design a system and that's the main flaw with that particular whine. The non-system I had been using was several pieces of paper with writing on them--and those papers are on the computer, too.

Use Excell, another writer told me. Ooo, that gave me sweaty flashbacks to the time I attempted tax-stuff with Excell. I'd rather suck all the snot out of a dog's head** than try to figure out those damned cell-thingies formulas again.

I paid the $25 and it's probably the best money I've invested in my so-called career this year. Well, except for all the research books. Those are wonderful and I might have bought them.... No, wait. I am only using them to make money, yessiree. That's why you'll find them on my tax-return.

Hey, speaking of taxes, all you wanna-be professional authors, you do know you can deduct some of the books you buy? You do now. Good.

And the memberships to RWA and the conferences . . .Don't forget to keep track of your mileage.

I'm sure someone has a wonderful list somewhere of what authors can deduct and maybe after I send out this latest partial I'll link to it.

* * *
also. speaking of necessary info, what do you suppose is the significance of a dream that features me allowing a rabid vampire bat to suck my blood? In the dream a friend (Leslie!) convinced me that it would be the right thing to do. I spent much of the rest of the dream looking for a vet who'd give me rabies shots.
_____
** not mine. Probably a Texan phrase like spank my ass and call me a doggie. Or maybe that's from a smut book?

Comments

  1. Thanks for the idea. I always felt like I should be able to deduct books. And what a delicious deduction, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally paranoid about audits so when I deduct the cost of a novel, I make sure I'm going to query that publisher soon. And I only deduct a novel or two from each publisher--it really does make sense that you have to read a few books by a publisher to know what they like. (I'm cautious but A pal subscribes to a Harlequin/Silhouette line and she deducts that monthly cost)

    Every non-fiction book that has to do with writing or with the period I write about? Automatically a deduction. RT magazine? Yes. (Well, it was yes, when I did it.) Postage, printing, ink, the computer.

    Also road trips to NYC, since I set books there....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)