Lucia Won't Survive the Internet

Anyone else read those E.F. Benson books?

Lucia was larger-than-life. She exaggerated, stole ideas (never objects, unless you consider a guru or psychic medium objects), claimed acquaintances as dear friends (social climbing as an art form), was full of opinions that she broadcasted as facts--and nearly all of them were utter rot. The woman was self aggrandizing in a way that makes Chris Matthews look modest. Yet you end up rooting for her because she was magnificent.

Anyway, a woman like her can't last in the internet age because emails and posts catch up with her. Memories can be twisted--beautifully, too, in a uniquely creative manner that make you want to applaud -- but not actual words with her name attached to them.

Seriously, it's sort of sad. (I suppose there's an emphasis required on the "sort of.")

Comments

  1. So--
    Was she an Auntie Mame sort of character?

    I wonder how Auntie Mame would do in the internet age.

    BTW, I ordered I DREAM OF DRAGONS at my local BN. Just got the e-mail last night that it is in, just as I'm leaving town. Now I'll have to wait until next week to pick it up. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mame was more likable. Benson's characters tend to be less admirable. They're objects of mockery.

    I don't know why I like Lucia so much because she's no one I'd want to deal with and usually I don't like to read about people I wouldn't want to spend time with. (Murder mysteries and Dexter are the exception)

    Have fun on your trip, TB! (I hope)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:30 PM

    I think I know who you're talking about. Her name is all over Dearauthor and Smart bitches and Karen Scot's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's just say...
    um...
    Karen spells her last name Scott.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)