we need to talk, said the agent

oh god. she's going to drop me.

I haven't sold for two years. Well, not a New York book.
A couple of weeks ago, she sent the email setting up the appointment. And that was two weeks of desultory work and more active contemplation of my future as a has-been before I'd ever managed to be a have-is . . .

I was wrong. She meant we need to talk, as in plan the next year--though it didn't help that she started out by saying "I have bad news," in hushed sympathetic tones. "Your book got rejected by [I've already forgotten the name of the editor]. She liked your voice; she liked the characters. The book just didn't do it for her."

That's bad news? That's NORMAL news.

The rest of the call was about what I should write next. How's about an erotic historical set in New York. Sure! Why not combine Summer and Kate?

She'll do her bit with pitching the old book and a newish one to new editors and I sent off a couple more finished books and she'll look at them.

And I sang as I peeled the potatoes last night--until the boys begged me to shut up. Ahh, low expectations have some payback. Relief! Glee, even! I still have an agent. I might still have a career.

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:10 PM

    I hear ya. I keep waiting for a "let's just be friends" from my agent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:20 AM

    You'd better have a career. I'm counting on you for front cover endorsements when I begin publishing romance novels under the pen name, "Autumn Cheddar".

    I'm going back to your novel right now. I mean, after I reply to your leaving-the-seat-up post above.

    Temmay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)