Truthfully?

I wasn't there . . .

But if I was? I bet I would have been so fascinated by the cars driving into a room, I wouldn't have noticed much else. (Stuff like that makes me gawk--my kids and I still get a kick out of glass elevators.)

I'd have been waiting to hear familiar names among the winners. I'd have been wondering it was possible to get a glass of wine. I'd have been looking through my bag for a pen and paper because I hate not fiddling with things. I must doodle. I'd have begged neighbors for gum--the really sharp flavored stuff so I'd stay awake and have nice breath at the same time.

Yeah, I might have noticed a right-wing edge, but since I'm yet another Ms. Softy Liberal-Pants (Megan's trademarked title) I tend to notice right-wing edges all over my country. Fox TV, anyone?

And my first response as we pushed out of the big room would have been, yeah, it's not my cup of tea, but I'm not gonna whine because I'm probably never going to volunteer at nationals to do more than stuff sacks.

I wasn't there so it's a lot easier to have a clear response: sounds like a majorly stupid production.

Comments

  1. Lol, the more details I find out about that meeting, the more I think someone's lines between Real Life and (Inspirational) Romance are a bit blurred. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:14 PM

    I've been following the controversy on a couple of lists, and a huge part of me is demanding I refrain from commenting because I wasn't there. But I'm kind of glad I wasn't there. However, I will be there next year. Nationals will be in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:40 PM

    Well, I didn't find it as offensive until I started hearing all the rehashing and realized, wow, it really was pretty negative. The two things that got me were the Challenger (because they showed enough of it to know what it was) and the Princess Di stuff.

    But, like you, I have no desire to run it myself, or take part in the whole planning thing, so I guess I don't really have the right to say too much, now do I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:07 AM

    Hi Kate--
    Well I thought it was depressing because I didn't win and because my shoes were too small and crushing my toes.

    Not sure a focus on sad stuff is right wing--not sure it isn't,either, though. Sad stuff happens. Like Dream, I don't want to volunteer to take over, but I wish it had been shorter.

    Oh, speaking of right wing, I'd have to say that the cheers for Clinton sounded heart-felt. We didn't know how good we had it when we had a President whose big lies were about whose pants he was in rather than why he was going to invade someone.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:15 PM

    Okay, see, I don't get the right wing thing. Clinton got thunderous applause, W. a smattering and a number of boos. Yeah, they showed Monica, but they also showed Hilary, and Bill's inauguration, and other things, too.

    Amen on whose lies were the more innocuous, though. Give me an "I did not have sex with that woman" over "We're shipping folks off to die because they have WMDs...um...they don't? Well, they were involved in 9/11...um, they weren't? Well, they want us to help them establish a democracy...um..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am firmly on one side of the political fence, but I don't care if they had shown Clinton Doing Something Smart and Presidential, the whole coverage was inappropriate, no matter what slant you thought the content. I had heard (yes, this is hearsay) they were going to start the evening off with a prayer--A PRAYER!--which would have offended every non-Christian in the room, plus any Christian with any kind of social conscience, I'd hope. Just plain inappropriate. Maybe next year RWA can return to the hearts and flowers thing they do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:14 AM

    Hey, Kate, my very first blog comment--and you're not here to read it! But I was there and yeah, I was taken with the limo--the big stretch limo--driving into the room. The first time. Maybe the second. But by the third? Not so much. At least I didn't have to go to the potty...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)