and Doug, that last picture? It took a lot of practice to get that scary. Harpo Marx taught me to make that face. Well, not him exactly--but I read a description of that face of his . .
A friend told me I'm very brave to post such a horrible picture of myself. Maybe it was more of a "I would have burned the picture and the negative. I sure wouldn't put it up on the goddamn INTERNET" remark.
But then she actually has some dignity--and she doesn't know how hard it is to get Avi the Fishmonger . . .just . . . right.
I've cut out bits here and there but the gist is there. I don't want to cut too much because she's a good writer (other than the actual thinking/tolerance part) and it's bad idea to ignore that fact. . . . romance isn't about just any "two people" celebrating "love in its many forms." Organizations such as the Man-Boy Love Association would certainly refer to themselves as celebrating love "two people" (or more) finding love in one of its many forms" . . . while they actively promote pedophilia. Think RWA can't go down that slipper slope? Think again. Under our present definition, we cannot exclude such "love stories" under the category of "romance". We, as a culture, seem to have forgotten how to say "enough is enough," but RWA can--indeed, must--do better than that. . . . And, please, spare us the arguments about "censorship" and "inclusiveness." Preference for "one man,...
A two star Amazon review on His American Detective: "Bodice ripper about gay men by a woman." and I'm longing to comment "don't you mean a waistcoat ripper?" God, no. Stop me. The reviews rarely rattle me any longer -- except when I spot a truth in a bad one. When that happens, I actually lose sleep. This means I still care about writing. Speaking of reviewers and writers: A couple of days ago, a writer said she was tired of getting white ladies writing reviews of her books. She had an excellent point in the long run: her stories are meant for a particular audience and she wants them to resonate with those people and get more reviews from them. But that first line was just....horribly obnoxious. I say this from my POV of course. Not a white lady who writes reviews -- but as a review grubber. Anyone who disses any reader (especially ones that give honest reviews) deserves to be cast into the pit of being ignored. ...
I changed the title. I keep changing the contents because I keep changing my mind. Sue me. Karen is doing a interesting bunch of interviews and discussion about AA Romance at her blog . I keep weighing in, though it's clear to me that I should keep my mouth shut. I was blathering along about how I don't judge by genre, and I look for books by writers I like or that have good reviews when I suddenly realized that I haven't read that many reviews for AA books. hmmm Is that because they're there and I just skip over them? Where are those reviews? Well, well. Could I be a closet racist after all? (I'm always looking for signs. Got to stay on top of this sort of thing.) I know some people see AAs like inspirationals, which has its audience built into its genre**. I can't help it, I see a kind of "keep out" sign with inspies. [edited to remove small rant about inspies that has nothing to do with my point] I see it as a club for Christians and there's no...
That last picture is truly frightening. And you bitched about a little ol' spider in the ear.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I need you to vote for the Bad Sex Challenge. Can you email me?
ReplyDeletebut Doug, I'm corrupt--I'll just vote for one of my entries.
ReplyDeleteand Doug, that last picture? It took a lot of practice to get that scary. Harpo Marx taught me to make that face. Well, not him exactly--but I read a description of that face of his . .
ReplyDeleteA friend told me I'm very brave to post such a horrible picture of myself. Maybe it was more of a "I would have burned the picture and the negative. I sure wouldn't put it up on the goddamn INTERNET" remark.
But then she actually has some dignity--and she doesn't know how hard it is to get Avi the Fishmonger . . .just . . . right.