turn the page why don't you

Don't know why I always come back to referring to that damned save the children ad whenever I want to push a book. Because even I know:

Save the starving children =/= Buy Summer's book.

A wide-eyed youngster staring up at you from the page in the New Yorker, wondering why she's had to endure so much suffering. I wonder when the last time they used that very effective blackmailing method in their ads? It has to be at least 20 years, right?**

Begging and Pathos is not working for me. NO ONE IS COMMENTING over at that blog. And the hideous realization that this is only the Monday of a week of promo? Is making me whimper like a kid who has to pee and just realized he's got to wait 76 miles for the next exit. Unlike the starving children, that particular example does seem to fit. )

Come on.

Buy a book = let poor Ralphie out of the car to pee in the bushes

At twitter I promised no attempts at guilt. No such luck here.

LOOK! There's the excerpt. Did I mention there's also an interview with me over there? And if you comment on either between now and Friday, you can win a book.

Next up, I'll be nagging you to visit Samhain's blog where I post tomorrow morning. I'll make that post entirely original and funny and filled with poignant pith. Yup. And then there's a chat at noveltalk on Wednesday. I'll bribe you with whatever it takes. Pride? Who needs pride? I have a goddamn ebook to flog.
_______
**TANGENTIAL UPDATE: I went looking for references to that particular "turn the page" ad campaign, and the only direct reference I could find, after searching a couple of pages of google, was this book called Compassionate Fatigue by Susan Moeller I wonder if using guilt to get money started to backfire on them? People resent being told they're heartless. Or it became such an overused phrase?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)