I should not be so nice to you

So very many of you have NOT ENTERED MY CONTEST. But here. I've got a flipping halo over my head and will share anyway. Make this AFTER ENTERING THE CONTEST.


I made the best chocolate pie. Ever. It had a pint of heavy cream in it. There were a coupla cups of skim milk, too. I invented it and will now share it with you because I'm just too great.

Make a graham cracker crust. (Standard crust: 1/4 butter melted, 1 sleeve graham crackers. Maybe a bit of cinnamon and sugar. Grind up or have kids stomp on ziplock bag carefully. Press into pan with your fingers. Don't lick em while you do this. Gross. Bake in oven for about ten minutes)

Use Oreos instead of graham crackers if you're feeling decadent. Or if you have a food processor, add some chocolate chips to the graham crackers.

Filling: Usually I just make ganache and pour it into shell and that's that. But I wanted more filling because I had a bigger pie pan and I wanted something that wouldn't freeze up so hard. genache? ganache? recipe:
coupla tablespoons of butter.
Lots of semi sweet chocolate. Maybe two cups of chips? or maybe 5 semisweet cooking squares? You can do as much chocolate as you want. Seriously.
Grind butter and and chocolate in food processor.
Take 1 - 1/2 cups of boiling heavy cream and pour over chocolate and butter as it processes.
Set aside for a longass time and you have perfect frosting or truffles whatever. . . OH while you're getting the cream hot, add a couple of tablespoons of sugar and let it melt with the cream heating up (Or use corn syrup if you don't want to bother with that melting stuff)

Back to my chocorat pie. . Make genache. Pour a smidge over bottom of pie shell to make a layer.

Now make pudding: 2 cups of milk. about 3 tablespoons of corn starch and a whole lot of unsweetened cocoa (4 squares of unsweetened cooking chocolate works--maybe even better--that's what I usually use, but I didn't have any yesterday). Anyway, add enough cocoa to taste, I guess. And about 2/3 cup sugar. also to taste.

Stirring a whole lot, bring the mix to boil (you need a whisk to make sure the cocoa and corn starch don't gloop up).

Once it starts to thicken, turn down heat, kkkkkkeeeeeep stirring for a coupla minutes. Voila! This is great pudding. Homemade chocolate pudding! Good stuff.

I make both these things (pudding and genache) all the time. But I've never mixed them before. I did yesterday and It's flipping fantastic. It's ambrosia. Great texture and flavor. OOOhhhhhh I forgot. I whisked in two egg yolks to the pudding stuff before I heated it up. Just because we had too many eggs (dh and I both bought some. That's why I used some of the milk too--we did the six gallons of milk thing. Again.).

Mix pud and genache together. Dump into shell on top of your genache layer. Cool a longazz time--a few hours at least. Whip that last 1/2 cup of cream with a bit of sugar and vanilla. Coat pie. Add chocolate shavings if you give a hoot about it looking good. Eat. It. YUM. Seriously. If I didn't have kids around, I probably would have added some kahlua or coffee to the whole thing and maybe added another egg yolk because. . .well, because.

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:59 PM

    Dropped by your other blog to give you a tag and found you had moved...duh...I should have been online more...lol...anyway wanted to wish you A Very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

    P.S...Like your new blog and with that recipe I will get fat...LOL..

    P.S.S I am also a blogger...check out snuggles39.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ganache on my pud. I'd never thought to try that. Thank you, Kate.

    (Sarah Silverman joke I just learned . . . I'll try to clean it up in case your niece is reading this or somethin')

    "So I was sucking jelly off my boyfriend's finger* when I thought, 'I've become just like my mother.'"

    *You know which finger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for anyone feeling fat, make the pudding alone (using skim milk) and feel less guilty.

    So where did you find this Susan person? the only one I know of is that beastly Spenser girlfriend. I open a Spenser book and pray she's run off with some gangster. I sort of wished she'd get killed off but, no . . .Gawd, if she died, Spenser would be even more dreely drippy about her. gah, what a thought.

    I could stop reading the damned series. The last book of his I really liked was one that took place in the 70s I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, what are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I'd say about 60 percent of the time.

    Okay so the one I ranted about was an annoying fictional character named SUSAN silverman and you were talking about her smarter funnier sister Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:44 PM

    You've been blogging a long time? (Well, true, you've been at it longer than me.) But here I am reading comments I've written, forgotten, and no longer even recognize.

    Although Sarah Silverman still rawks, despite the crappy TV show.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)