I've cut out bits here and there but the gist is there. I don't want to cut too much because she's a good writer (other than the actual thinking/tolerance part) and it's bad idea to ignore that fact. . . . romance isn't about just any "two people" celebrating "love in its many forms." Organizations such as the Man-Boy Love Association would certainly refer to themselves as celebrating love "two people" (or more) finding love in one of its many forms" . . . while they actively promote pedophilia. Think RWA can't go down that slipper slope? Think again. Under our present definition, we cannot exclude such "love stories" under the category of "romance". We, as a culture, seem to have forgotten how to say "enough is enough," but RWA can--indeed, must--do better than that. . . . And, please, spare us the arguments about "censorship" and "inclusiveness." Preference for "one man,...
I must get used to collage covers. I will learn love them. They've been around forever (and for god's sake, they are not as scary as poser covers). Murals are ART! I know because I studied art and this is what we have here. A MURAL.
ReplyDeleteIf you're going to have a collage cover, Ann Cain is the best, ever. My covers have rocked, always. And the colors on this are pretty.
But still.
I keep imagining how disturbing would it be wake up, grab your cup of coffee, drag yourself to the apartment window for your daily morning stare and weather/traffic check -- and see a misty man-torso 20 stories tall.
Cloudy, with a chance of giant nekkid men. Huge women with tousled hair will be blocking traffic to the north.
Literal Kate
Here's what else I know:
ReplyDeleteA cover's #1 job is to sell books. Maybe #2 is to not make dreadful mistakes about the book's contents (a la Kilgore Trout)?
[insert jobs #3-15 here, all about series and publisher branding/look blah blah blah etc] Job #16 is to satisfy picky authors.
As far as I'm concerned, Ann Cain does the three jobs I know of beautifully.