what happens when the non-detail oriented goes hunting for details

The dogs spread themselves flat on the wooden floor so they can get as cool as possible. They take up a lot of room and their panting leaves small drool puddles everywhere they go...is that why these are the dog days of summer? Or is it something to do with the dog star? I'd look it up but I'm all researched out.

I spent way too much time researching Germanic titles of nobility. Too much time
1. because I should have been doing something else--not because I resented all the hunting through books and sites. I don't, not at all, but time was a-wasting. I should be hauling furniture around various rooms. And vacuuming.

2. because we're not using any of the information I discovered. Those honorifics do not translate. Our count (son of a count, actually, so Erbgraf rather than Graf) would be called His Illustriousness or Highborn (Hochgeboren). His unpleasant father is called Erlaucht or Illustrious Highness. From what I could figure out, our guy, the count's son, is a highness too. But since our guy is hanging around in England, he's not going to be called highness by the Brits. He's noble but not royal and a lot of readers know that counts don't get that royal treatment in GB, even if they do back home.

In our story, he's going to just be your grace. Notice the lower case? It would be capped in England but because we're writing for an American company, no capitals. So many picky details I learned and have already forgotten. In one eyeball and out the other so don't quiz me on any of it.

Hey, yo, dude, there will be many more picky bits to look up later. Or if there isn't, I'll find a tangent to follow because I freaking love this stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)