peacock without much conviction

Another hair post! How boring--I am vain about my hair. It's not my fault, I tell you. When I wear it down and brush it, a rare event, people tell me how gorgeous it is. They ooh and ahh. . . Of course it's a nice, innocuous compliment about appearance. Can't exactly say to someone "Wow, your breasts look great today. Get a new bra?"

The hair doesn't just attract compliments. I've been told I'm too old to have long hair, which naturally made me rethink the haircut I'd been planning to get. If it's not exposing lots of skin, then any fashion labeled too old is just silly, thank you. (If it is exposing lots of skin, a fashion is probably too silly for most of the population, young and old.) If I wanted to, I'd even claim the right to wear Mary Hartman puffed sleeves--and that tells you how old I really am. PPPffth on any who say we can't, shouldn't, mustn't.

Back to the hair.

Since I'm into passing the buck, allow me to add that it's not my fault that I'm thinking--and therefore posting--about hair again. I blame the long-absent Bettie's post. She ranted about long hair as considered sexy and she forgot to mention the most important reality point: really long hair is sexiest during sex when tied up and out of the way. When it's loose, it tends to get in the way. You end up with mouthfuls of hair instead of kisses. It gets in your eyes and wraps itself unexpectedly around limbs.

Final note on this week's hair post: The standard pediculosis alert just came home from elementary school. If the nits at school make their way into our house, I'm shaving everyone of us. We'll all look like marine recruits together.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:31 AM

    I knew I liked you, Kate. **smooches**

    Yeah, gakking up a hairball during an intimate moment does kind of kill the mood, but I'd rather work around that than give in to the people who say I'm too old for long hair.

    And what is it about hair lately, anyway? Everybody's talking about it. Even my husband's mom & step-dad were disagreeing at Thanksgiving over whether I should cut my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I have long hair and I'm going through the "should I cut it or not" stage. Am I too old for long hair? It's in the way, I can't do anything with it but braid or ponytail, it's in my face, pain in the neck to brush, and so on...

    I sent a survey out to my friends, hoping for some direction. Half said "cut", half said "keep". Gee, thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:01 AM

    Well, I have to say the nits my 2nd grader brought home caused 3 months of on again, off again, work on her and my really long hair. The girl in my daughter's class at school kept giving it back to my daughter over and over until we were up to 5 times in 3 months. I finally gave up, cleaned us up as best as possible, and away we went losing about 15 inches of hair each at the hairdresser's salon. My husband said we both looked like long haired boys. Now I regret cutting our hair, but the nits have not come back to my daughter or me. My hair is now shoulder length. My daughter has asked about purchasing a pink wig or getting hair extenders. She hates her hair. Life goes on, but it is hard to cut your hair like that. I finally broke down and got mine curled and highlighted. I needed something to do to it. It still is too short. My recommendation is "Don't cut it!" I miss my hair, but I don't dare say anything about it in front of my daughter. And, we ended up spending about $400 in treatment kits from the pharmacy to treat the nits. Life goes on, but it sure isn't fair sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)