SBD random rant

I'm listening to a book on tape--an Ann Perry mystery. The book is driving me nuts. I sort of like the characters--they're occasionally predictable, but I don't mind that. I like the fact that, though they're not simplistic, these people are filled to the brim with integrity, strength, honesty yadda yadda. Nice change from the reality of ambiguous people in the real world. I don't even mind the POV errors I keep noticing. Or the obvious mistakes the characters make.

EXCEPT I don't think I can listen to the whole thing because, even though the main characters are dandy, the author's driving me nuts. She has them all, every last one of them, closing their eyes and visiting the past when she needs to get in some backstory. They get so lost in their thoughts they are all startled when someone speaks and pulls them forward. Oops, just escaped to the vivid past which has more scent, sight, sound than this particular moment. Uh UH, girl friend. Once, twice okay, maybe. Not every chapter or so. And I wish someone had edited out the repetition of plot points too, and zapped out a few repeats of the phrase "poor creature". I bet I wouldn't notice those details if I were reading the book myself--I have the excellent Davina Porter reading it to me. **

But the above whining wasn't supposed to be the subject of my rant. Famous people I sort of know about showing up in fiction. THAT's what I was going to go on about. This book isn't rife with that, but it has Florence Nightingale in it. When I was in fifth grade, I did an essay about FN. I know FN. I mean I read at least four encyclopedia articles about her. And some kind of kiddy book that featured FN helping a collie dog named Dandy. I remember this stuff, see? Anyway, I'm sure Ms. Perry did her research too, but her version of FN isn't the one I know. Hers is pleasant and pretty.

We're not talking egregious error, it's entirely opinion. I think it's like having a cover with a faces of people you don't think matches the hero and heroine--or going to see a movie made from a book that doesn't quite stay true to your memory of the plot. But there's this big trend in historicals to be HISTORICAL. I don't like it. A mention of a name here or there, sure. Even a scene or two. But the whole plopping of a non-fictional person into a fiction plot bugs me. I'd rather read my very own new copy [gloat time] of Thunderstruck by Erik Larson. It reads like fiction but pretends? really is? HISTORICAL.

Oh and one more tangent. For the next year, our local library has shrunk from a main library with two branches to just the two branches. So for the next year, if I want to read any book that might be even remotely popular, I have to buy it. Like the Larson. Turns out I kind of like having new books and not waiting for a copy that's on reserve. It's decadent.

____________________

**Maybe another reason I'm so snarky is I have Davina Porter Envy. I want my books to be on tape and read by her. Frankly I have publisher contract envy. First thing this morning--ANOTHER rejection. Sigh. That means the book will be abandoned or rewritten, I think.

Comments

  1. I grew up appreciating that aspect of historical fiction, tho, that an author grounds the fiction in a plausible enough place and time to where non-fiction people can wonder on set. Hence my Grand Duke Ferdinand, Beethoven & Haydn in Serenade. Without grounding it within the framework of vaguely real people, the historian side of me (which I was told recently tends to dominate my storytelling side) protests that it's just another story in fancy dress! :)

    Your mailman comes too early. I will get my rejections in the afternoon, thank you, after my coffee - and full enough from lunch to puke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovelysalome, I didn't know your guys well so I didn't mind reading your version of them at all.

    I think characters like Beethoven or Prinny or Lord Nelson have taken on a fictional life. It's the famous but not as often portrayed that are harder to get right for picky PMS readers.

    I can always manage an SBD when I'm PMS (TLA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And cora, you sound like a Real Historian in your research. You oughta list your resources in some kind of bibliography--I love reading those things in fiction.

    Oh and LS I don't get my rejections by mail. I get them via the agent in email form. She tends to soften the blow, I think, starting the email with, "I don't know if I agree with this sentence in the rejection. . ." Much nicer way to get the bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In that case, I'd be all creeped out to have to check e-mails in the morning. Bad enough when I get crits back that keep me awake at night :(

    But I agree that Beethoven has a fictional life. Hence the films, etc. Makes him easy - although he certainly was no charming Gary Oldman type. Much nastier and more rude in reality!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)