hmm.

Two rejections, one an okay meh--the other, fairly brutal (the editor hated my hero "the hero in particular is extremely weak and comes across as timid and irresolute. While there may be good reasoning behind this characterization, there wasn’t enough information in the first few chapters to convince readers to be able to follow his story blindly." [hmmm. hope it's okay to quote her. I've gotten in trouble for posting letters from editors in the past. But I doubt this particular editor would read this blog-- or care, for that matter. It's an articulate bit of rejection. If I were the editor, I'd be proud of it.])

I don't freak any more. I don't even feel like saying "yah? you and what army, girlie?" No reason to be offended because he's not her cup. Problem is, I bet he's probably very few people's idea of a good time and I can't seem to stop writing this sort of book. I might be dispatched to e-book land forever and ever.

And that's a harder road. I know, I know: there are lovely e-books. I've read them and appreciate them. But I wanna be back in the mainstream, dammit! For one simple reason: $$$$

There's the Respect Factor of being a Real Author, but that's not something I need or entirely buy into. Good thing too, because no matter what I write, it's gonna be romance. I've already learned I'm not insulted when people ask "when will you write a Real Book?"

Sigh. I guess I won't be waitressing this week after all but I'm leaving that hero behind for now.

Note to self: Poor damaged souls are okay as long as they're alpha.

Comments

  1. Oh wow. Honey, I can so relate. I've had the big NYC agent and now I'm without one again. I have a print book coming out through Freya's Bower.com and I have the e-books. What I want seems unobtainable, but I still keep plugging along. Do the best you can do and never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. What can I say.

    That sounds "licky icky", as my Kindergartner would say. (Somehow the idea of licking ick makes it all that much worse.)

    Please keep writing. Puweese? Because I really like your stuff. Really. I do.

    And I, as you know, have excellent taste. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read your books and enjoyed them much-ly, so hang in there!

    There are more print books in your future, Kate. Trust me, I have Magic! ;-)

    Word verification: uctchn... you catch on? That could be a license plate! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:40 PM

    Of course your books are fantastic! That Invisible Touch one was amazing. Kinda like the rest of the series... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that's what I want. A pat or two on the back. Thanks, guys.

    Kris, Summer is selling fine. It's Kate who's suffering (and not silently)

    ReplyDelete
  6. and when IS your book coming out, Ms. Kris?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:45 AM

    I'll show you my stack of rejections from this year if you want. Not engaging enough, too complicated, too out there, too offensive, way too offensive, not enough sex . . . it's gets fairly towering by November.

    Most cutting rejection from an editor (paraphrased to protect the offender): "I didn't like it. I can't say precisely why, only that I didn't." Gotta love that kind of quality, insightful feedback.

    Keep submitting. It's the best and only defense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you loud and clear about liking e-land but wanting NY. I haven't been to visit yet, but I'm sure when I get there (Ha, I said when, I'm growing esteem!) I will want to stay.

    You had faith in me, once upon a time. Time to give some back. *waves faith flag*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)