Best and Worst

"Do they always do that?" I asked my husband and sons. "I don't think I've ever seen a ball team do that. It's sort of cool."

We were watching the Detroit Tigers spray their fans with champagne.

No one answered my question.

I said, "God, that looks like Mumm. What a waste. Still, it's kind of charming that they're celebrating with their fans."

One guy poured champagne on an abashed looking security guard. My sons loved that.

I said, "Seriously, is this something baseball guys do? I know they spray each other in the face in the locker room. Bet it hurts."

"Nope, haven't seen them do that with fans before," my husband said.

"Well you know what this means," I said. "From now on, every winning team will have to do that. Isn't it football where they have to dump Gatorade on the coach? I bet the first time it happened was a spontaneous funny event."

They didn't answer.

"You know that this rather cool unpremeditated moment will be totally scripted from now on."

Someone turned up the volume on the post-game commentary. Some poor newsguy was getting splooshed in the face.

I went on. "I bet within a couple of years there will be ads featuring this sort of moment. No wait, a couple of weeks. Slow-mo shots of this will be everywhere. We're going to see it with stirring music in the background any minute now. You watch. They're going to take a joyous unscripted second and beat it until the action becomes trite and and every drop of--"

"Hey mom? Will you shut up? Please?"

So I went off to find my computer and blog about it. Of course.

Professional sports--I hate it, usually.

* * * * *
updated: Hey, but if it makes Wendy happy, can't be all bad, eh?

Comments

  1. Champagne supposedly stings like a mother when you get it in your eyes. But given that the Tigers lost 119-games just 3 short years ago I don't think anybody really gives a damn about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My poor Yankee-fan husband is moping today. (Thick sarcasm) Pooor Baby.

    The lovers of the Red Sox throughout the rest of the family, who therefore love seeing the Yankees lose, although I wouldn't say that we've spent much energy rooting (routing?)for Detroit, are jubilant today. Which makes husband that much more dejected.

    But we have no champagne to wildly toss around in our glee. Does Sparkling apple juice count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:12 PM

    I don't think the champagne spraying is new to baseball -- but usually it waits until the World Series.

    I agree, a waste of the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cynical. Champagne is Blecth anyway. No loss there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:15 PM

    Next time don't talk. just let me savor the moment of utter defeat of the Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:21 PM

    The celebration was a crazy one not only because (a) it was against the Yankees, and (b) the Tigers were just awful not too long ago, but also because (c) they blew their division lead and weren't able to celebrate anything with their fans. Over and over in the Detroit papers the players talked about how they had let the fans down and wanted to include them in the celebration. It was something amazing. Just wait to see what happens if they win the World Series...last time, in 1984, they almost burned the city to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:44 PM

    they wouldn't do that now, not with football season going on....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:29 AM

    lol - with the Lions playing so poorly, anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)