POVersion

I was going to keep on spouting more advanced POV wisdom, but I swear, I'm thinking the fewer of us who present trend as Fact the better the world will be . . .. Yeah, so a bunch of romance is written in deep third (deeeeeeeper'n a well) and have only the hero and heroine's POV and no head hopping blah blah blah. But hell, I'm sick of presenting it because I can imagine someone, somewhere, might jump on a new writer for some bogus rule that I repeated.

A lovely bit of omniscient opinionated INTERESTING description of a room or a person will be dumped. A heroine-looking-in-the-mirror-scene-for-description that actually works (there must be some?) will be cut. Bah.

When I cleaned out my office last spring, I came across a contest entry from a few years back. The judge's remarks were hellacious. Not unfriendly or rude or mean. . . but stupid. They did not fit the damn story. I can picture the judge scribbling notes about every single point some editor or writer or nut-job uttered. Obviously she had memorized the contents of some workshop or book as God's unswerving truth.** And back when I got the stupid contest entries--I thought that the judges had taken some kind of training that meant THEY knew what they were on about. I turned the story on its side to fit. It had been a small story, rather sweet and quiet. I wish I had saved the original to see if it did work. . . but no, I had to pump it up. I mean, OMIGOD NO BLACK MOMENT. . .When I was finished following advice, the story had turned into a bloody mess. I dumped it or maybe it got lost on a broken computer?

Silly goobers, all of us who take too many notes. I'm not talking major tragedy here. We'll all survive, and maybe some of our writing will, too.


_______________________
**I recall seeing GMC a lot, so maybe it was a Deb Dixon influence. Except DD's very clear that she's not the answer for every writer and book out there. Maybe the judge forgot to write that part down?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)