Not just promo, also recipes

Bonnie and I have a book out next week. I started grinding the promo machine into gear (goddamn, that clutch is shot. You're never going to make it into third gear, Rothwell. Lemme help you push that thing back into the driveway. Yeah, best to stay home and read a book) 

That meant I thought about this blog as a way to flog books and had a pang of no, no, that's not what I wanted. Not pure promo. That's not what I'm here for. Let's do food, shall we?**
 
Lovely nourishing food -- because we're still trying to be healthy around here. How about gluten-free, sugar-free cookies?**** Yes, I know that kind of "treat" frequently looks like roadkill and tastes like pious and dreary dust, but I like these. I almost invented them! Except for the fact that there are variations all over the place, I made this recipe up!

 UGLY YUMMY OATMEAL BANANA DATE COOKIES

They don't have sugar (except the stuff in the fruit. Okay, and in the dark chocolate bits. FINE they have sugar but not the kind from a bag.)
 Here's the recipe.
 6 medjool dates
1 banana
1 cup oatmeal
1 egg
1/3 cup almond meal (Trader Joe's carries this and the dates. You can also just grind almonds up. They're stickier that way, but that works)
1/4-1/3 cup milk (I got impatient and just poured it in so measuring didn't happen)
Grind this stuff up in a food processor. I did the dates and oats longer than the rest of the stuff because I wanted them to be finer.

Also I let the goop sit in the food processor for a few minutes. That was not on purpose--but I think it helped make them more tender. (The oatmeal mellowed as it swapped stories with the banana)

Add some chocolate chips because you can--as you add the dark chocolate remind yourself that it is healthy. Add nuts if you'd rather. Or both. Or coconut. Or, if you're feeling extra trendy, ground flaxseed. Dried fruit would work--I mean on top of dates. Chop it up or throw it into the grinding stage.

These things hold together nicely so add whatever you want within reason.

Or you could add nothing but why would you pick that?

Blop them onto a tray by the spoonful and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or so. I was going to bake them 15 minutes, but they were fine at 12 minutes.

 This made 12 cookie things--more like dense little cakes. They weren't sticky or tough at all--and are pretty moist. I like them.

If you don't want them as moist, maybe leave out the milk.


**Since I'm sick of the Dear Author topic ##  (except for the covers that Mrs. Giggles made)

**** but with that egg, they're not vegan. My chickens point out it's cool to eat eggs. They like theirs scrambled. [and, to be honest, I suspect the milk is unnecessary.]

## being sick of the topic didn't stop me from writing about it, see article above this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No snark. Bad puppy. No. (Review stuff.)